Wi-Fi connection service
- 1 Precautions
- 2 Obtaining a School of Science network account
- 3 Downloading and installing a user certificate
- 4 Device management
- 5 Device setup
- 6 Guest access to the Wi-Fi network
- 7 Device setup for access to Wi-Fi
- 8 utroam
- 9 Wi-Fi network
The School of Science network is intended for educational and research purposes. Use the network properly by observing the following rules.
- Use secure OS/software.
- Install antivirus software.
- Do not use P2P software.
For details, see the page Using the network.
To gain access to the Wi-Fi network, complete the following steps in order.
2 Obtaining a School of Science network account
Wi-Fi access requires a School of Science network account. For each account, an account information sheet containing the user ID and initial password is available. Student accounts are created upon admission/advancement; each student should receive the sheet from the departmental administration office. Faculty and researcher accounts should be requested through the relevant Department/Facility subnet administrator.
For details, see the page School of Science network account.
For Department/Facility subnet administrators, see the page Network administrators (Japanese) (internal access only).
3 Downloading and installing a user certificate
Wi-Fi authentication is based on the user’s certificate, not password. Use the School of Science network account to download a user certificate and install it on the device to be connected to the Wi-Fi network. Access the authentication system via the link below to download a user certificate.
- Authentication system (user login page)
For downloading a user certificate from the authentication system, see the page Downloading a user certificate from the authentication system. For user certificate installation on a device, see the page School of Science network account.
4 Device management
Devices accessing the School of Science network must be properly managed. Devices managed under the School of Science host management system are automatically registered for Wi-Fi access. For the registration of devices managed by the Departments/Facilities, contact the relevant Department/Facility subnet administrator.
For details, see the page Host management system.
5 Device setup
Configure the device for Wi-Fi access as follows.
- ESSID: sos
- Security: WPA2 (WPA2 Enterprise)
- Encryption: AES
- Authentication protocol: EAP-TLS
Setup examples for different OS types are available on the pages below.
6 Guest access to the Wi-Fi network
Steps 1 to 5 described above are related to the use of the University’s information networks by individuals belonging to the School of Science. Guests can also use Wi-Fi at the School of Science by receiving a certificate for guest access from their coordinator.
The use of the guest certificate is subject to the following terms and conditions.
- The certificate user may use Wi-Fi only for educational and research purposes.
- It is the responsibility of the coordinator to address security incidents caused by the guest, if any.
- The certificate is updated at 0:00 every Tuesday and valid for one week.
Guest certificate installation requires a password (“sos-guest”).
7 Device setup for access to Wi-Fi
7.1 Basic configuration for access to Wi-Fi
- ESSID: sos (or sos-ht)
- Security: WPA2 (or WPA2 Enterprise)
- Encryption: AES
- Authentication protocol: EAP-TLS (certificate authentication)
utroam is a Wi-Fi service covering the entire University, including the School of Science. Access to this service requires a special utroam account. The utroam account can be created by using an account for the University-wide administration system, account for the educational campus-wide computing system, or account for the School of Science network.
To create a utroam account using the School of Science network account, use 10-digit Universal ID postfixed with @s.u-tokyo.ac.jp and the password for the School of Science network account (“@s.u-tokyo.ac.jp” is irrelevant to the e-mail address).
For details, see the following guide to utroam.
9 Wi-Fi network
All School of Science buildings on the Hongo Campus are covered by a Wi-Fi network. The Wi-Fi network is a VLAN with IEEE 802.1X (EAP-TLS) authentication. The subnet for the relevant Department/laboratory can be accessed directly from anywhere on the network. Since the security type is WPA2 Enterprise, network access requires a user certificate. The ESSID for the School of Science Wi-Fi network is “sos” (School of Science); the network supports both the 2.4 GHz band (11 bgn) and the 5 GHz band (an).
9.1 Locations with network access
- Bldg. 1 (West and Center Wings)
- Old Bldg. 1
- Bldg. 2
- Bldg. 3
- Bldg. 4
- Bldg. 7 (Only 6F and 7F)
- Chemistry Bldgs (East, Main, and West Chemistry Bldgs)
- RI Laboratory
- Institute of Astronomy (Main and Laboratory Bldgs)
- Center for Nuclear Study, Wako Branch
- Koishikawa Botanical Garden (Only the Garden’s subnet is available.)
- Misaki Marine Biological Station (Research Bldg., Dormitory, and Memorial Bldg.) (Only the Station’s subnet is available.)