Wi-Fi connection service
- 1 Precautions
- 2 Obtaining a School of Science network account
- 3 Downloading and installing a user certificate
- 4 Device management
- 5 Device setup
- 6 Wi-Fi network for users other than School of Science
- 7 About our Wi-Fi network facilities
The School of Science network is intended for educational and research purposes. Use the network properly by observing the following rules.
- Use secure OS/software.
- Install antivirus software.
- Do not use P2P software.
For details, see the page Using the network.
To gain access to the Wi-Fi network, complete the following steps in order.
2 Obtaining a School of Science network account
Wi-Fi access requires a School of Science network account. For each account, an account information sheet containing the user ID and initial password is available. Student accounts are created upon admission/advancement; each student should receive the sheet from the departmental administration office. Faculty and researcher accounts should be requested through the relevant Department/Facility subnet administrator.
For details, see the page School of Science network account.
For Department/Facility subnet administrators, see the page Network administrators (Japanese) (internal access only).
3 Downloading and installing a user certificate
Wi-Fi authentication is based on the user’s certificate, not password. Use the School of Science network account to download a user certificate and install it on the device to be connected to the Wi-Fi network. Access the authentication system via the link below to download a user certificate.
- Authentication system (user login page)
For downloading a user certificate from the authentication system, see the page Downloading a user certificate from the authentication system. For user certificate installation on a device, see the page School of Science network account.
4 Device management
Devices accessing the School of Science network must be properly managed. Devices managed under the School of Science host management system are automatically registered for Wi-Fi access. For the registration of devices managed by the Departments/Facilities, contact the relevant Department/Facility subnet administrator.
For details, see the page Host management system.
5 Device setup
Configure the device for Wi-Fi access as follows.
- ESSID: sos
- Security: WPA2 (WPA2 Enterprise)
- Encryption: AES
- Authentication protocol: EAP-TLS
Setup examples for different OS types are available on the pages below.
6 Wi-Fi network for users other than School of Science
6.1 UTokyo WiFi
UTokyo WiFi is an campus wireless network service for university members. To use UTokyo WiFi, you may have UTokyo Account to issue UTokyo WiFi account. Please refer user guidelines for suitable UTokyo WiFi use.
For details, see the following guide.
"eduroam" is an international guest Wi-Fi service that can be used at universities and research institutes. You can use eduroam in the University of Tokyo, where you have your eduroam account of your institute. For information to get an eduroam account for users of the University of Tokyo (in order to connect to eduroam at other universities etc.), please refer to the following page.
6.3 UTokyo Guest (in trial)
UTokyo Guest is a guest Wi-Fi service in trial. You can use UTokyo Guest in the University of Tokyo campus including the building of School of Science,
- ESSID: UTokyo-Guest
- Authentication: Web authentication
- Registration: You can register you account using you mobile phone (both domestic and international roaming)
When connecting to the "UTokyo-Guest" Wi-Fi and launch the web browser, the authentication page will be displayed. You can register your account using your mobile phone as described on the authentication page.
6.4 Guest certificate for sos Wi-Fi network
- This guest certificate will end when renewing School of Science account.
Steps 1 to 5 described above are related to the use of the University’s information networks by individuals belonging to the School of Science. Guests can also use Wi-Fi at the School of Science by receiving a certificate for guest access from their coordinator.
The use of the guest certificate is subject to the following terms and conditions.
- The certificate user may use Wi-Fi only for educational and research purposes.
- It is the responsibility of the coordinator to address security incidents caused by the guest, if any.
- The certificate is updated at 0:00 every Tuesday and valid for one week.
Guest certificate installation requires a password (“sos-guest”).
7 About our Wi-Fi network facilities
All School of Science buildings on the Hongo Campus are covered by a Wi-Fi network. The Wi-Fi network is a VLAN with IEEE 802.1X (EAP-TLS) authentication. The subnet for the relevant Department/laboratory can be accessed directly from anywhere on the network. Since the security type is WPA2 Enterprise, network access requires a user certificate. The ESSID for the School of Science Wi-Fi network is “sos” (School of Science); the network supports both the 2.4 GHz band (11 bgn) and the 5 GHz band (an).
7.1 Locations with network access
- Bldg. 1 (West and Center Wings)
- Old Bldg. 1
- Bldg. 2
- Bldg. 3
- Bldg. 4
- Bldg. 7 (Only 6F and 7F)
- Chemistry Bldgs (East, Main, and West Chemistry Bldgs)
- RI Laboratory
- Institute of Astronomy (Main and Laboratory Bldgs)
- Center for Nuclear Study, Wako Branch
- Koishikawa Botanical Garden (Only the Garden’s subnet is available.)
- Misaki Marine Biological Station (Research Bldg., Dormitory, and Memorial Bldg.) (Only the Station’s subnet is available.)